Advanced Placement Courses
What is Advanced Placement (AP)?
AP classes offer college-level curriculum to high school students!
At the end of the year, you will take an AP test and if you score a 3 or higher (on a 5 point scale), you can earn FREE college credit!!!
In our school district, the AP test is FREE and is taken during the school day
At Decatur, you can begin taking AP in 9th grade – this is much earlier than other schools
Why take AP?
- Develop college-level academic skills!
- Colleges will see you as having more college potential! About 85% of colleges report that they
- look to see whether or not a student has taken an AP course!
- Save money! If you earn college credit, this will save you (or your family) money in the future!
- It’s FREE!
AP at Decatur:
- You have the chance to take an AP class right away in 9th grade: AP Human Geography
- Starting in 10th grade, your options for AP classes increase significantly!
- Decatur currently offers approximately 20 different AP classes!
- Students also have the opportunity to earn the AP Capstone Diploma, which is more rigorous than the normal high school diploma
For more information, please contact our AP Coordinator, Mrs. Kormos, at email@example.com